[lttng-dev] [LTTng-UST RFC] Tracepoint Loglevels Specification

Aaron Spear aspear at vmware.com
Fri Feb 3 12:58:14 EST 2012

Hi guys,

> > > TRACE_SYSTEM   7
> > > information has system-level scope
> > >
> > > TRACE_PROCESS  8
> > > information has process-level scope
> > >
> > > TRACE_MODULE   9
> > > information has module (executable/library) scope
> > >
> > > TRACE_UNIT     10
> > > information has compilation unit scope
> > >
> > > TRACE_CLASS    11
> > > information has class-level scope
> > >
> > > TRACE_OBJECT   12
> > > information has object-level scope
> > >
> > > TRACE_FUNCTION 13
> > > information has function-level scope
> > >
> > First thought: I don't think that these levels (7-13) correspond to
> > levels.
> > These divisions sounds more like a part of the namespacing of the
> > event
> > and not level.

I think that I agree with what Yannick said above and didn't see what I interpreted as a direct answer to the question.  It does seem to me that TRACE_SYSTEM, TRACE_MODULE, etc really are related to domain/scope and not related to levels.  It seems conceivable that I am only interested in seeing TRACE_INFO from the process level scope as opposed to the system level and would like to be able to filter using the domain additionally.  What am I missing?

thanks,
Aaron Spear