[lttng-dev] ctf document quick review

Matthew Khouzam matthew.khouzam at ericsson.com
Thu Feb 2 14:08:50 EST 2012

Hello tracing warlords,
A starting review of the CTF spec ver pre-v1.8
there are as far as I see 3 major changes:
clocks
env
helper macros
and one minor change
underscores

clocks: well though out IMO, looks like it would support a large veriety
of clocks. On a hardware side, would a jitter/drift be interesting? also
would scaling clocks (such as the turbo button on 286s ) be interesting?

env: seems to be a catch all for dev comments. not bad, it appears to be
the true "metadata" and the metadata looks like it should be named
structure now. I understand why this is not the case but I feel I am not
the only one that will feel this way while reading the spec.

helper macros: I am nervous about this, why not use a typedef? ctf does
not use a pre-processor, these macros can open the door to calculations
within the trace, not sure if that's what we need.

underscores: clearer now, thanks!

Hope my comments help