[lttng-dev] Poor handling of spaces in field names

David OShea David.OShea at quantum.com
Thu Dec 13 19:05:12 EST 2012

Hi all,

I never expected to be able to put spaces in field names, but I accidentally did so and had quite a bit of trouble debugging the problem, as 'babeltrace -v <path>' just gave me:

"""
error syntax error
[error] Error creating AST
[warning] Unable to open trace metadata for path "[...]".
[warning] [Context] Cannot open_trace of the format [...] .

[warning] [Context] cannot open trace "[...]" from [...] for reading.
"""

I had to set BABELTRACE_DEBUG=1 to see the metadata scanner and parser debug output to figure out what I'd done wrong :)

Would it be possible and practical to have the macros generate some dummy code using the field names in order to detect them not being valid identifiers at compile time?  Better error messages from the metadata parser would also be nice, but I imagine that's probably not so easy.

Thanks in advance,
David

The information contained in this transmission may be confidential. Any disclosure, copying, or further distribution of confidential information is not permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by Quantum. Quantum reserves the right to have electronic communications, including email and attachments, sent across its networks filtered through anti virus and spam software programs and retain such messages in order to comply with applicable data security and retention requirements. Quantum is not responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the substance of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.