[lttng-dev] [RELEASE] LTTng-tools 2.1.0-rc1

David Goulet dgoulet at efficios.com
Wed Aug 22 09:22:58 EDT 2012

Hi Bernd,

Comments below.

Bernd Hufmann:
> Hi David
>
> I've just installed LTTng-tools 2.1.0-rc1 and I wanted to use it
> with the Eclipse LTTng tracer control. First, I added 2.1.x as
> supported version to Eclipse and then I tried to used it with 2.0.x
> features. I noticed a few differences in the output strings of
> command outputs [1] as well as the directory structure of generated
> traces [2]. The Eclipse LTTng tracer control parses the String
> output of the commands to extract relevant information.
>
> Generally, it would be much easier to maintain the Eclipse LTTng
> tracer control if for existing features the string outputs and the
> directory structure are the same as before. Please note, if someone
> uses scripts to generate traces the output format is also
> important.
>
> [1] Command output of lttng create mysession: In v2.0.x the output
> was: Session mysession created. Traces will be written in
> /home/user/lttng-traces/mysession-20120314-132824
>
> in v2.1.x the output is: Trace(s) output set to
> /home/user/lttng-traces/mysession-20120822-082243 Session mysession
> created.
>
> So, the first and second line are swapped. Also the content of the
> line with the path is changed. Would it be possible, to have the
> same order of the lines and same output as in v2.0.x?

Hmmmm, that's a fair point. Normally I would *strongly* recommand you
use "lttng list mysession" to get the output path but still, we could
make the argument that the output of the "create" command should not
changed between minor version.

> [2] Trace directory structure: I noticed that the UST traces are
> moved under another sub-directory.
>
> In v2.0.x the directory structure looked as follows:
> /home/user/lttng-traces/ |-mysession-20120314-132824 |-kernel
> |---<kernel trace files> |-ust |---<programA-<PID>-<date>>
> |-----------<program A specific trace files>
>
> In v2.1.x the directory structure looked as follows:
> /home/user/lttng-traces/ |-mysession-20120314-132824 |-kernel
> |---<kernel trace files> |-ust |--- mysession-20120314-132824
> |---<programA-<PID>-<date>> |-----------<program A specific trace
> files>

This is absolutely not suppose to be like that... I'm unable to
reproduce this behavior having the "mysession-**" created two times.

Can you give me the exact series of command you do to get this
directory structure?

The normal case and wht 2.1.x should to is provide you the same
directory structure as 2.0.x. Ex:

~/lttng-traces/test-20120822-091412/ust/lt-hello-4542-20120822-091415

Thanks!
David