[lttng-dev] lttng enable-channel option for blocking

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Fri Apr 27 07:33:21 EDT 2012

* Woegerer, Paul (Paul_Woegerer at mentor.com) wrote:
> On 04/26/2012 11:16 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> I already thought about permitting this, but we currently don't. The
>> first thing I must say about this is that I prefer to wait a bit
>> before we add this feature, and think about its impact thoroughly,
>> because allowing the tracer to block applications gives a lot of power
>> to the tracer: e.g., if tracing is stopped due to error conditions, or
>> disk full, or network traffic slowdown, how do we handle the fact that
>> this might block progress in all traced applications ?
> Good to know that this is on the agenda.
>
> I agree, it gives a lot of power to the tracer. By messing with channel
> configurations a user could make a tracing application unusable. But the
> user already has ways to make applications unusable (by messing with
> ulimit, for example). There is always enough rope to hang yourself.

A core difference between ulimit and user-space tracing is that ulimit
can only be set within the environment (and access right) of the user
running the application. System-wide tracing sessions can be initiated
by users member of the "tracing" group -- giving them the ability to
potentially DoS an application does not appear to me to be a good
security practice.

Thoughts ?