[lttng-dev] Writing a babeltrace output plugin

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Tue Apr 3 10:10:29 EDT 2012

* Oestman, Fredrik (Fredrik_Oestman at mentor.com) wrote:
> Hi Mathieu, hi Julien,
>

> Mathieu wrote:
> > I have no other clues in mind [to using the public API] than
> > looking at the examples already in there
>
> Where are the examples of using the public API?

There is a lttv tree currently under heavy development, and the lttngtop
git tree on git.lttng.org.

> > for now, all converters are expected to be in-tree.
>
> Oh. So the way to go to add another output format for conversion from CTF is to
> clone the formats/ctf-text directory and make changes as needed?

Yep.

> It would have been interesting to see the CTF output part as an example.
> Can you say when such an option will be available?

We do not use the intermediate representation for CTF generation (see
babeltrace-log.c): we generate the metadata directly as needed.
Generating a CTF output from the CTF intermediate representation is not
planned at this point, as it has very little use for us. LTTng-UST 2.0
and LTTng-modules 2.0 both generate CTF natively.