[ltt-dev] [RFC] New UST 2.0 Tracepoint Event API : TRACEPOINT_FORMAT

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Thu Sep 1 13:33:34 EDT 2011

Hi Brian,

* Cruickshank, Brian (bcruickshank at ti.com) wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>    I think the addition of per-tracepoint format strings and the
>    addition of "loglevel" information to the tracepoint API would both
>    be very helpful as it will make it easier to migrate from and
>    integrate with many existing software instrumentation APIs.

Yep, agreed,

>    How would the %s format specifier in the format string be handled?
>    E.g. would its use be restricted to referencing constant strings
>    (i.e. where the field associated with the %s specifier would be
>    logged as an integer value containing the address of the string,
>    which the host-side software would be able to use to look up the
>    text associated with the string by reading the metadata or the ELF
>    file for the application) or is the intent to support dynamically
>    allocated strings of arbitrary length (e.g. by rendering the string
>    on the target before logging the event)?

CTF at this point does not include any knowledge of the ELF binary
topology. For %s, my intent is to allow saving the strings into the
buffer with the following TRACEPOINT_EVENT TP_FIELDS() definitions:

   ctf_array()          (fixed-size array of arbitrary integer types)
   ctf_array_text()     (fixed-size array of arbitrary integer types,
                         with known text encoding)
   ctf_sequence()       (dynamically-sized sequence of arbitrary integer
                         types.)
   ctf_sequence_text()  (dynamically-sized sequence of arbitrary integer
                         types, with known text encoding.)
   ctf_string()         (variable-length string (made of 8-bit
                         integers), with known encoding, ending with \0)

Eventually, if we decide to extend CTF to allow a new type that would be
e.g. a reference to content within the ELF binary, then %s could
additionally be used to refer to fields of that type for the use-case
you describe. But as currently CTF does not support description of this
kind of type, so it would be rather premature to discuss its implication
on TRACEPOINT_FORMAT().

How does that sound ?

Thanks for your feedback!

Mathieu