[ltt-dev] LTT Questions

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 26 23:51:10 EDT 2011

* Alexandre Montplaisir (alexandre.montplaisir at polymtl.ca) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11-10-26 06:20 AM, mammar wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >

> > I am a newbie to ltt and linux, i have two questions:
> >    1. Can ltt be used to know/trace all the system calls made by a single
> >    process?
>
> Yes, LTTng (the kernel tracer) can trace syscall entry and exit events,
> and then you can isolate the calls related to your process.
> If you use UST (the userspace tracer) then you can trace whatever you
> want from your application.
>
> >    2. As ltt is available for ARM, so can llt be ported on Android?
>
> Technically yes. It has been ported to Linaro for example.
> Someone was looking into porting LTTng to Android some months ago, but
> we haven't heard anything in a while.

I ran into Karim Yaghmour yesterday at LinuxCon Europe. He got LTTng 0.x
kernel tracer working on Android without much problem. The only "issue"
he ran into was that he needed to specify the LTT_DAEMON env. var. so
lttctl could find lttd (he built ltt-control tools on his host with a
target directory that differed from the target installation).

Best regards,

Mathieu