[lttng-dev] LTTng driver submission for inclusion in staging (resend)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sat Nov 26 21:28:25 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:03:25AM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hereby propose the LTTng kernel tracer for inclusion into the staging
> area of the Linux kernel. For those eager to try it out, and to get
> information about the features of this tracer, you should grab the
> control/consumer/viewer tools at: http://lttng.org/lttng2.0
>
> Feedback is very welcome!

I applied this, but it failed to build:

  CC [M]  drivers/staging/lttng/ltt-ring-buffer-client-discard.o
In file included from drivers/staging/lttng/ltt-tracer.h:24:0,
                 from drivers/staging/lttng/ltt-ring-buffer-client-discard.c:12:
drivers/staging/lttng/wrapper/trace-clock.h: In function ‘get_trace_clock’:
drivers/staging/lttng/wrapper/trace-clock.h:66:2: warning: #warning "LTTng: Using mainline kernel monotonic clock. NMIs will not be traced, and expect significant performance degradation compared to the LTTng trace clocks. Integration of the LTTng 0.x trace clocks into LTTng 2.0 is planned in a near future." [-Wcpp]
In file included from drivers/staging/lttng/wrapper/ringbuffer/frontend_types.h:1:0,
                 from drivers/staging/lttng/ltt-ring-buffer-client.h:18,
                 from drivers/staging/lttng/ltt-ring-buffer-client-discard.c:17:
drivers/staging/lttng/wrapper/ringbuffer/../../lib/ringbuffer/frontend_types.h: At top level:
drivers/staging/lttng/wrapper/ringbuffer/../../lib/ringbuffer/frontend_types.h:23:86: fatal error: ../../lib/prio_heap/lttng_prio_heap.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

The build warning is a bit harsh, and should be a Kconfig option or a run-time
kernel log message, please fix that.  No new code should ever add build
warnings, especially ones like this.

The build error isn't ok, so I can't apply this series, sorry :(

Care to fix this up and resend?

thanks,

greg k-h