[ltt-dev] usttrace does not support arguments with spaces

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 05:38:22 EST 2011

Is usttrace still going to be around for LTTng 2.0?  If not, maybe
these observations don't matter, but I wanted to discuss before I
forget them.

usttrace in ust-bin Debian 0.15-3 does not handle spaces in
command-line arguments:

  # Prepare vars
  CMD=$*
  [...]
  # Execute the command
      $CMD 2>&1
  ) | tee "$OUTDIR/app.log"

My temporary fix was:

  # Execute the command
  "@" 2>&1

Since I was tracing a curses application it turned out redirecting
stdout/stderr wasn't helpful ;).  So I dropped the app.log and
redirection.  Capturing application output is not useful in this case.

If you can point me to the git repo that has usttrace I'm happy to
send patches.  I have to admit I failed to find usttrace in the git
repos, I must be looking in the wrong place ;).

Thanks,
Stefan