[ltt-dev] [UST RELEASE]ust 0.13

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at gmail.com
Thu May 19 17:26:10 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers
<compudj at krystal.dyndns.org> wrote:
> * Nils Carlson (nils.carlson at ericsson.com) wrote:
>> Announcing the release of ust 0.13
>>
>> ChangeLog:
>> 2011-05-19 ust 0.13
>>         * API CHANGE!!! trace_mark has been deprecated, new ust_maker,
>> without
>>         channel name. ex. ust_marker(name, <format>, args...)
>
> Small note: for the deprecation process, we're leaving the old
> "trace_mark" macros there for a few UST versions, but they will be
> deprecated over time. We might enable compiler warnings in the next
> release with the gcc "deprecated" attribute.
>
>>         * Instrumentation API CHANGE!!! change from
>> trace_<name>(args...) to
>>         tracepoint(name, args...), register_trace_<name>(...) to
>>         register_tracepoint(name, ...) and unregister_trace_<name>(...) to
>>         unregister_tracepoint(name, ...)
>
> As a side-note for this one: by the end of the summer, typical use the
> UST instrumentation will be:
>
> TRACEPOINT_EVENT() for declaration
> tracepoint(name, ...) in the code.

Has a point been reached where you are declaring the ust API stable?

For users it is a problem when the API changes, it should not be
necessary to bundle a specific version of ust with an application.
Right now using a distro ust-dev package for building applications
against is not feasible due to API changes in across versions.

I think providing a stable API will increase adoption since
distro-provided ust becomes useful and applications can begin to rely
on tracing being there and working.

Stefan