[ltt-dev] lttv-gui crash

Eric Millbrandt emillbrandt at dekaresearch.com
Tue May 17 12:37:46 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I am seeing lttv-gui consistently crashing with an assert() when parsing my traces and would like some help debugging the problem.

Thanks
Eric

emillbrandt-linux:/home/emillbrandt/trace# lttv-gui
** Message: statistics viewer : background computation data ready.
** Message: statistics viewer : background computation data ready.

(lttv.real:27120): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(lttv.real:27120): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(lttv.real:27120): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
** Message: event viewer : background computation data ready.
**
ERROR:tracecontext.c:1097:lttv_traceset_context_position_save: assertion failed: (tf_count < pos->tfcp->len)
/usr/local/bin/lttv-gui: line 10: 27120 Aborted                 $LTTV_CMD.real -m lttvwindow -m guievents -m guifilter -m guicontrolflow -m resourceview -m guistatistics -m guitracecontrol $*

Software Version Details:
Host
debian/amd64
lttv 0.12.36-18112010

Target
powerpc 2.6.33.7 + preempt_rt rt29 + lttng 0.216 + some hand merging of the two

The following lttng modules are loaded:
ipc-trace
kernel-trace
mm-trace
net-trace
fs-trace
syscall-trace
trap-trace
ltt-statedump
ltt-userspace-event

>ltt-armall
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/userspace/event
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/global_state/statedump_end
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/irq_state/interrupt
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/vm_state/vm_map
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fd_state/file_descriptor
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/task_state/process_state
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/read
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/write
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/pollfd
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/select
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/writev
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/readv
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/pwrite64
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/pread64
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/llseek
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/lseek
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/close
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/open
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/ioctl
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/exec
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/buffer_wait_end
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/fs/buffer_wait_start
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/napi_poll
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/napi_schedule
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/udpv4_rcv
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/tcpv4_rcv
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_recvmsg
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_sendmsg
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/dev_receive
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/dev_xmit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/napi_complete
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_call
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_shutdown
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_getsockopt
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_setsockopt
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_socketpair
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_getpeername
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_getsockname
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_accept
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_listen
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_connect
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_bind
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/net/socket_create
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/netif_state/network_ip_interface
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/netif_state/network_ipv4_interface
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/netif_state/insert_ifa_ipv6
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/netif_state/del_ifa_ipv4
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/netif_state/insert_ifa_ipv4
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/mm/page_free
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/mm/page_alloc
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/mm/remove_from_page_cache
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/mm/add_to_page_cache
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/mm/huge_page_alloc
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/mm/huge_page_free
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/mm/wait_on_page_end
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/mm/wait_on_page_start
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/trap_entry
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/trap_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/syscall_entry
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/syscall_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/page_fault_get_user_entry
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/page_fault_nosem_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/page_fault_nosem_entry
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/page_fault_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/page_fault_entry
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/timer_set
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/sched_schedule
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/sched_try_wakeup
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/softirq_raise
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/softirq_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/softirq_entry
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/irq_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/irq_next_handler
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/irq_entry
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/process_wait
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/panic
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/page_fault_get_user_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/crash_kexec
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/kernel_kexec
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/module_load
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/module_free
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/vprintk
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/printk
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/timer_timeout
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/timer_update_time
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/timer_itimer_set
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/timer_itimer_expired
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/kthread_create
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/process_fork
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/process_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/process_free
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/send_signal
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/sched_migrate_task
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/sched_wakeup_new_task
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/sched_wait_task
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/kthread_stop_ret
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/kthread_stop
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/tasklet_high_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/tasklet_high_entry
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/tasklet_low_exit
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/kernel/tasklet_low_entry
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/ipc/call
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/ipc/shm_create
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/ipc/sem_create
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/ipc/msg_create
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/module_state/list_module
Connecting /mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/softirq_state/softirq_vec

> /usr/bin/lttctl -C -o channel.all.overwrite=1 -o -w /root/traces/current trace
Linux Trace Toolkit Trace Control 0.87-09062010

Controlling trace : trace

lttctl: Creating trace
lttctl: Forking lttd
Linux Trace Toolkit Trace Daemon 0.87-09062010

Reading from debugfs directory : /mnt/debugfs/ltt/trace
Writing to trace directory : /root/traces/current

lttctl: Starting trace

> /usr/bin/lttctl -D -w /root/traces/current trace
Linux Trace Toolkit Trace Control 0.87-09062010

Controlling trace : trace

lttctl: Pausing trace
lttctl: Forking lttd
Linux Trace Toolkit Trace Daemon 0.87-09062010

Reading from debugfs directory : /mnt/debugfs/ltt/trace
Writing to trace directory : /root/traces/current

lttctl: Destroying trace

These options are enabled in the kernel build
> zcat /proc/config.gz | grep LTT
CONFIG_LTT=y
CONFIG_LTT_FILTER=m
# CONFIG_HAVE_LTT_DUMP_TABLES is not set
CONFIG_LTT_TRACER=y
CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_LOCKLESS=y
# CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_IRQOFF is not set
# CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_LOCKED is not set
CONFIG_LTT_SERIALIZE=y
CONFIG_LTT_FAST_SERIALIZE=y
CONFIG_LTT_TRACEPROBES=m
CONFIG_LTT_TRACE_CONTROL=y
# CONFIG_LTT_ALIGNMENT is not set
CONFIG_LTT_CHECK_ARCH_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS=y
# CONFIG_LTT_DEBUG_EVENT_SIZE is not set
CONFIG_LTT_USERSPACE_EVENT=m
CONFIG_LTT_VMCORE=y
CONFIG_LTT_STATEDUMP=m
CONFIG_LTT_KPROBES=m
# CONFIG_LTT_ASCII is not set

-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

This e-mail and the information, including any attachments, it contains are intended to be a confidential communication only to the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.

Thank you.