[ltt-dev] UST Instrumenting function entries and exits

Francis Giraldeau francis.giraldeau at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:18:15 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 13:32 -0400, Matthew Khouzam wrote:
> Hello world,
> I just made a little program that I'm testing out and want some opinions
> now that Mathieu D and Nils are not able to read their emails. ;)
>
> This is a shared object (or code injected straight into the source) that
> will allow ust calls to be hooked onto the function entries and exits.

IMHO, this is truly a killer feature for UST! I wonder what is the
performance difference between this technique with UST compared to gprof
and callgrind (valgrind tool).

For making this a real feature thought, it would be nice to save the
address, not the string itself. Could it be convenient to save in the
trace the function name string the first time the function is hit, then
the symbol table at analysis time would not be required?

Anyway, very interesting stuff!

Francis