[ltt-dev] Older lttctl man page?

Richard Schmitt rschmitt at airvana.com
Fri Mar 25 09:52:25 EDT 2011

I am trying to instrument/trace a 2.6.21 kernel.  I believe the recommended ltt-control version for this linux is ltt-control-0.43-10082007.   It also seems all the documentation and man pages I can find on lttctl are based on a later version of lttctl.

I have two questions:

1.       can I use a newer version of lttctl on a 2.6.21 kernel (with the 2.6.21 lttng patches)

2.       Is there a man page or documentation on how to use the previous lttctl command line?

If not, then I have specific questions.  I do seem to have been able to capture a trace with the following:

lttctl -n trae1 -b -t /tmp/traces -l /mnt/debugfs/ltt -m hybrid

<...>

lttctl -n trace1 -f -t /tmp/traces -l /mnt/debugfs/ltt

this does populate /tmp/traces directory with an empty control directory and a file called flight-cpu_0

If I copy that directory off the embedded linux target to my linux host, place into the /tmp/traces directory on that linux host and attempt to run:

/usr/local/bin/lttv -m textDump -t /tmp/traces

I get a CRITICAL **: annot open trace /tmp/traces

followed by a Segmentation fault.

my lttv version is 0.8.82-09042007

Thanks
Rich