[ltt-dev] lockdep trace

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 17 09:12:50 EDT 2011

* Harald Gustafsson (hgu1972 at gmail.com) wrote:
> > What I should do is to do not build the lockdep tracing module if
> > CONFIG_LOCKDEP is not enabled.
>
> I would recommend that, since I got fooled by the presence of the
> lockdep tracing module in the package that the kernel was compiled
> with the configs to support it.

OK, I just updated the lttng modules git HEAD to include this change.
Can you have a try and tell me if the behavior is as expected ?

> Anyway, maybe offer two different
> packaged kernels one with lockdep and one without?

Then the problem becomes: at how many kernels configs do we stop ? I
guess that eventually having a kernel for "heavy instrumentation" (kind
of a "debug" kernel) and another for "light instrumentation" would make
sense though. But given the changes that are coming this year, I think
it's better to focus our efforts towards the upcoming LTTng development
snapshot rather than trying to package more configs of the "old stable"
LTTng.