[ltt-dev] [RFC UST and LTTNG] Daemon model proposal v0.3

David Goulet david.goulet at polymtl.ca
Mon Jan 31 14:16:01 EST 2011

On 11-01-31 02:06 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * David Goulet (david.goulet at polymtl.ca) wrote:
>> Everything about a per-user ltt-sessiond will be added to the RFC!
>>
>> Comments below.

>>> We will run into problems across reboots: session IDs might be reused, thus
>>> trying to overwrite older traces. Other ideas, possibly including UUID, would be
>>> welcome.
>>
>> Across reboot... I don't see the problem reusing IDs... The only problem
>> to overwrite older traces is if the session ID is used in the trace path
>> on the disk which is not the case.
>
> Then what do you propose using as directory name to hold the trace on disk ?
> Using the session name would seem natural.

Yep, absolutely for the first level directory but the trace file path
should be quite different. We talked about something like this the other
day :

$sessionID/
	$appname-$date-$time-$PID

having $sessionID the above proposition : dave.session_name-5

The $time is a bit useless but makes the trace path "unique" since the
case of having the same date, appname and PID can occur.

I'm actually quite open for better suggestion :)

I'll make sure the rest of that email is taking into account for the
next version!

Thanks
David

--
David Goulet
LTTng project, DORSAL Lab.

PGP/GPG : 1024D/16BD8563
BE3C 672B 9331 9796 291A  14C6 4AF7 C14B 16BD 8563