[ltt-dev] [RFC UST] Processes model

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:38:21 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Nils Carlson
<nils.carlson at ericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM, David Goulet <david.goulet at polymtl.ca>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm submitting a RFC about a "new daemon model" for UST.
>>>
>>> This is the *first* draft... so a lot of feedback will be appreciated for
>>> improvements and ideas!
>>
>> At first glance I'm concerned about a root ustd daemon.  One of the
>> things I like about LTTng UST is that it's low on administration
>> overhead and configuration.  Putting a central service in place that
>> mediates access introduces a level of complexity that makes it harder
>> for unprivileged users who want to quickly trace something in an app
>> they are running or developing.
>
> The central daemon is already in place. I assume your talking about
> using the usttrace command?

I don't remember ever running as root or having the daemon get in the
way.  It makes sense to have an out-of-process daemon but keeping
lightweight ad-hoc usage supported is important.  Especially for
userspace tracing, LTTng has a big advantage over SystemTap here due
to less headaches installing and configuring the tracing system.

Stefan