[ltt-dev] [RELEASE/STATUS] LTTng 0.240 for kernel 2.6.36.2

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Wed Jan 5 18:40:41 EST 2011

LTTng, the Linux Trace Toolkit Next Generation, is a project that aims at
producing a highly efficient full system tracing solution.  It is composed of
several components to allow tracing of the kernel, of userspace, trace viewing
and analysis and trace streaming.  LTTng is open source software. It is being
actively developed with the community.

Changelog:
- Implement a user-space trace clock into a new clock_gettime() clock id.
  (will be used by the next UST release). It will provide consistent timestamps
  between userspace and kernel traces taken on a LTTng-enabled Linux kernel.
- Moved to stable kernel 2.6.36.2 (last LTTng release targeting 2.6.36.x,
  moving on to 2.6.37 shortly)

Project Status:
- I am currently working on a LTTng redesign to better suit the need of Linux
  distributions. The kernel-side work is very well advanced, and I'm now moving
  on to the following steps: redesign lttd/lttctl/ltt-armall with a more
  integrated approach (lttngtrace), and move LTTV to the new CTF (Common Trace
  Format). I am keeping this redesign separate from the "stable" LTTng versions
  for now, as it removes some of the LTTng-specific instrumentation to bring the
  size of the patchset down to something more appealing to distributions.
  The ongoing redesign is available in the lttng-modules git tree HEAD, but
  depends on a reduced kernel tree LTTng patchset that I have not yet released.

Project website: http://lttng.org
Download link: http://lttng.org/content/download
(please refer to the LTTng Manual for installation instructions)