[ltt-dev] LTTng and RTAI

Matthew Khouzam matthew.khouzam at ericsson.com
Fri Feb 4 13:59:59 EST 2011

That would be interesting to try out.

One issue with RTAI (at least that I've experienced) is that is is
supported generally by older kernels. RTAI itself is at 3.8+ I think, so
your kernel is probably something around 2.6.17?

 From the compatibility matrix
(http://git.lttng.org/?p=lttv.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/developer/lttng-lttv-compatibility.html;hb=HEAD)

I would suggest trying the 0.6.2, the trace version would be 0.7, You
would need LTTV version 0.8.62, TMF would not work for visualizing this.

At home I have RTAI 3.8 and an instrumented kernel works fine on it. I
tried tracing something and it doesn't affect the latency that much. (On
an athlon 64 3000+ my max latency passes from 40 us to 42-43
empirically) I did not read the trace output, but the files were created
and there were no big error messages.

I tried it during some RT apps and the apps worked properly, BUT I had a
hard rt system that was requiring rtai but had latency requirements in
the 500us range.

If your max latency is 50 us and your deadline is 50.01 us, you will
have issues.

For tl;dr It should work with the right version. Works for me, try it out.