[ltt-dev] lttng-ust: Inconsistent license info in manual and source code?

Pierre-Marc Fournier pierre-marc.fournier at polymtl.ca
Thu Sep 30 08:01:43 EDT 2010

On 09/30/2010 06:49 AM, Cui, Dexuan wrote:
> Nils Carlson wrote:

>>> Hi, today I checked the release of 0.7 and the latest's ust.git.
>>> Looks this inconsistency in manual and source cde is still there? Do
>>> we have a plan to fix it?
>>>
>>> And, the COPYING only mentions "GPLv2 or any later version", but
>>> doesn't mention LGPL at all.
>>> And, the files in ust.git/snprintf/ has a BSD license header.
>>> So, what's the "overall" license of lttng-ust -- "LGPL2.1+&  BSD"?
>>>

>> LPGPL2.1 for the library parts.
>>
>> LGPL is more restrictive than BSD so only the specifically BSD
>> licensed parts may be used under a BSD license.
>>
>> I can try to fix the license text in the coming release.
>>
>> /Nils
> Hi Nils,
> I see.
>
> And could you also please answer the COPYING question --  "the COPYING only mentions "GPLv2 or any later version", but  doesn't mention LGPL at all"?
> Should we also fix the COPYING? I think it should only mention LGPL rather than GPL. Am I correct?

The COPYING file should be fixed. It's indeed confusing.

We already have a lgpl-2.1.txt file. We could add a gpl-2.txt file.
After that, COPYING could contain information about the license of each
module, and refer to the specific *.txt files for the license text. If
would likely become the official source from which the corresponding
section of the manual would be updated.

pmf