[ltt-dev] [UST] BUG Ubuntu <= Karmic

David Goulet david.goulet at polymtl.ca
Thu Sep 16 18:58:39 EDT 2010

After some talks in the metro and testing it here at home, we found the bad guy
in all this mess... it is .... KVM :D

We have no idea yet why but we will look into it.

Side note to my self : Test on different real host ;)

Thanks
David

On 10-09-16 05:59 PM, David Goulet wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> A very _major_ bug, to say the least, was discover this afternoon in
> Ubuntu Karmic and below. The clock_gettime and gettimeofday function are
> syscalls and not VDSO as it suppose to be.
>
> This makes UST go impressively slower because at each tracing event, you
> got a syscall in the fast path. We got at 2 times factor (per event
> speed) on Karmic and 5 times on Hardy.
>
> We are currently waiting for feedback from Debian and Ubuntu to explain
> this changes in the glibc API. (If anybody knows why, please feel free
> to explain it on this list).
>
> Here is a simple test to see if clock_gettime is in fact a syscall on
> your distribution (we've only tested Ubuntu distro) :
>
> $ vim test.c
>
> #include <sys/time.h>
> #include <time.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv) {
>     struct timespec ts;
>     clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, &ts);
>     return 0;
> }
>
> $ gcc -lrt test.c -o test
> $ strace ./test
>
> If you see this line in the strace output :
> clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, ...)
>
> it's a problem.
>
> Thanks to all

- --
David Goulet
LTTng project, DORSAL Lab.

1024D/16BD8563
BE3C 672B 9331 9796 291A  14C6 4AF7 C14B 16BD 8563