[ltt-dev] [ANNOUNCEMENT] LTTng tracer re-packaged as stand-alone modules

Andi Kleen andi at firstfloor.org
Fri Sep 3 10:47:42 EDT 2010

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:12:13 -0400
Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com> wrote:

> Here is a news that should please Linux distributions which have been
> overwhelmed by the size of the LTTng patchset. I have extracted the
> LTTng tracer patches from the LTTng kernel tree and repackaged it
> into a new "lttng-modules" package. There is still a dependency on
> the LTTng kernel tree at the moment, but the objective is to
> gradually reduce the size of this 5 years long mainline fork.

Efforts to get rid of forks are always good.

Could you perhaps elaborate a bit what changes you need
in mainline (ideally separated in "essential" and "nice to
have") and how big the left over patches are?

Or rather how difficult would it be to simply run
the LTT userland on top of the tracing code that is
in mainline, even at loss of some functionality?

Thanks,

-Andi