[ltt-dev] Can I use LTTng for auto-discovery of build dependencies?

vesselin kavalov vesselin_kavalov at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 19:24:01 EDT 2010

I am a consultant and constantly have to deal with new environments, where I
have to build RTL netlists (and testbenches)? for simulation or synthesis or
emulation and usually these involve thousands of files, most of which are passed
to the corresponding EDA sw tools as search paths - in general - unknown till
compile/run time of that tool.

I would like to be able to "snoop" on a flow and detect which executable uses
which files as inputs/outputs and build the dependency tree, such that can be
fed in some form to a make/make-like sw build tool for incremental compiles.

Most of the executables are just dynamically linked, stripped binaries, so I
cannot compile them with some tracing beacon in them - gotta be something that
runs on the side or creates a shell that intercepts syscalls like file open()
etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanx
vess