[ltt-dev] [URGENT]Re: Flight Recorder Testing on Linux-2.6.32

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Wed May 26 09:24:57 EDT 2010

* srikanth krishnakar (skrishnakar at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hello Mathieu,
>
> In the analysis of COREDUMP using *FLIGHT_RECORDER*, what are the steps I do
> need to follow for tracing, because If i follow the steps :
>
> 1. Connect all markers (ltt-armall)
>
> 2. Start tracing (lttctl -Cw /tmp/trace1 trace1)
>
> *Till here every thing is fine... w.r.t  trace methods involved. Now say If
> here I get KERNEL_PANIC, then what about my trace data that is still pending
> and needs to be written to files.*
> *I mean till I destroy the channels I will not get the trace data !! *
>
> How do I resolve this situation !!! where kernel panics and no trace data
> available for user ?

You would need support to get your buffers from a crash dump extraction
tool (e.g. "crash"). There has been some work done on this in the past
by Fujitsu, but that was a few years ago, so I doubt it's aware of the
current LTTng buffer layout. So this is currently unsupported. Patches
are welcome. :)