[ltt-dev] [OT][LTTV]

Nikita Izyumtsev nikita.izyumtsev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 07:44:56 EDT 2010

Hi everybody!

First of all, I'm not sure if I'm posting to right mailing list. My
question is concerning lttv. If I'm not, please point me at correct
one. Thank you!

I'm facing some unpleasant issue with latest lttv (both 0.12.30 and
git snapshot). After lttv packages installation, if I try to compile
some simple application (just open and then close trace), I see
following:
In file included from test.c:2:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h:24:29: error: ltt/ltt-private.h: No such file
or directory
In file included from test.c:2:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h: In function ‘ltt_tracefile_name’:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h:96: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h: In function ‘ltt_tracefile_long_name’:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h:101: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h: In function ‘ltt_tracefile_cpu’:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h:108: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h: In function ‘ltt_tracefile_tid’:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h:114: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h: In function ‘ltt_tracefile_pgid’:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h:119: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h: In function ‘ltt_tracefile_creation’:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h:124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h: In function ‘ltt_tracefile_get_trace’:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h:129: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h: In function ‘ltt_tracefile_block_number’:
/usr/include/ltt/trace.h:136: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

After short investigation, I have found, that public header file
trace.h includes private libltt header private-ltt.h. I have that by
removing private-ltt.h reference and putting all inlined functions
into library body (and preserving current ABI in that way) --- see
attached patch, but it resulted in another compilation failure, this
time in lttv:
batchtest.c: In function ‘trace_event’:
batchtest.c:175: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
batchtest.c: In function ‘save_state_copy_event’:
batchtest.c:233: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
batchtest.c: In function ‘compute_tracefile’:
batchtest.c:332: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

Reason for this failure is that batchtest.c relies on private
declaration of LttTracefile :)

outcome: I'm willing to fix all that stuff, but I'm *very* new to ltt,
and I would like someone to define libltt API.

Nikita