[ltt-dev] simultaneous lttng kerner tracer and userspace tracer

Holger brunck holger.brunck at keymile.com
Thu Jun 10 06:46:47 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 06/10/2010 11:09 AM, MEKEZE KWATCHO, PATRICK (PATRICK) wrote:

> Could someone help me about this subject?
>

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Run simultaneous lttng kerner tracer and userspace tracer
>       (patrick mekeze)
>

> I am a high school student and it is now about one month that i decided to interest on lttng projet because i was searching about some metric tools for unix systems.
> The goal of my research is to develop a tool which would work as a "fligth recover " for a unix system running on a power PC hardward support.
> i decided to work for the first time on an?intel processor and after, i will make a croos compilation for my target which is a power PC processor
> I have already built a linux kernel with the lttng patch and i have install all the need tool to have a lttv analyser
> Because i would like to trace some programm running on userspace, i have install usttrace tool.
> After this i wrote a short application with a marker inside as i see in the usttrace tutorial available on website.
> When i run this with command $usttrace ./testprogramm , i have in the promt the name of directory where trace are logged and i can use lttv to analyze it. here i can see well my event "myevent" on the wiever.
> But? when i activated kernel trace with command $ lttctl -C -w /tmp/trace1 trace1, and run my userspace programm with command $ ./testprogramm,?i am not?able to get the myevent.
> so that, i want to know how tu run lttctl tools and userspace programm to get and analyze simultaneous on the lttv-gui? ,kernel event and userspace event.

I never used both tracing mechanism at the same time, but two questions come in
my mind.

1) Do you see the kernel trace events, or do you see nothing?
2) Are you sure that in the second case you have to start  your testprogram
without usttrace? Did you tried to $usttrace ./testprogramm and $ lttctl -C -w
/tmp/trace1 trace1?

Best regards
Holger Brunck