[ltt-dev] Bug in LTTv statistics ?

Copelnug copelnug at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:01:25 EDT 2010

There seems to be a bug in the LTTv statistics.

The problems is visible in the function "every_event" of the lttv/stats.c
file. That function is called for each event and receive a
"LttvTracefileStats" structure as parameter.

So if you check the value of the pointer to the "LttvTracefileStats"
received, you can see it changing between 15 and 20 value depending of the
trace loaded. This seems to be intended to me because each type of events is
associated with one and only one "LttvTracefileStats" (but a structure can
have many events type).

The bug seems to be a side effect : The structure passed to the function
contain the current path to the "current_event_types_tree" that is used to
increase the numbers of event for the event type. Or, this value is not
conserved between two "LttvTracefileStats" which means that the change of
process or state only affect one "LttvTracefileStats" and let the others to
their value. That means that some types of event are never affected by a
change of mode or process.

What this cause is :
- Many event in process 0 and Unknown mode.
- Difference between the total for a process of the event list in the
textdump and the value for the process in the statistics of the same
textdump.

Is it really a problem or am I misunderstanding something ?

Note : I use LTTv version 0.12.31 with trace version 2.5 and 2.6.