[ltt-dev] Updated LTTng project roadmap

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Wed Feb 24 12:19:17 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

I just updated the LTTng project roadmap, available here:

lttng.org > Project Status > ROADMAP

http://lttng.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=lttv.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/developer/lttng-lttv-roadmap.html

The most important part is the "LTT Next Generation Roadmap TODO (high
priority)" section. Here are the highlights:

(1) LTTng event description: move from tracepoint/markers to Ftrace TRACE_EVENT
    declarations. Extend TRACE_EVENT as needed. (Douglas Santos)
(1) LTTng ring buffer adaptation for FTrace.
(1) FTrace/LTTng trace format standardization.
(1) Extend NO_HZ support vs trace streaming support to other architectures (need
    to add cpu idle notifiers and test).
(1) Make sure ltt-ascii kernel text dump fits well with streaming hooked into
    cpu idle.
    [Depends on cpu idle notifier port to other architectures]
(1) Support CPUs with scalable frequency with a time-consistent increment and
    with an approach scalable to SMP. (done for ARM OMAP3 UP only, but the OMAP3
    approach should be tested and probably derived into an SMP implementation)
(3) LTTng trace session (support multiple active traces at once) integration
    into Ftrace.
(3) LTTng and Ftrace DebugFS interface merge.
(3) LTTng trace clock time-stamping merge into mainline.
(3) NMI-safe tracing merge.

So if these items are important to you, contributions in developer-hours or
funding are welcome.

I'll do my best to keep this page more up-to-date in the future.

Thanks !

Operating System Efficiency Consultant