[ltt-dev] add_timer_on: in-kernel users _all_ buggy ?

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Thu Feb 18 09:28:00 EST 2010

* Mathieu Desnoyers (compudj at krystal.dyndns.org) wrote:
> * Thomas Gleixner (tglx at linutronix.de) wrote:
> > >
> > > I use del_timer in IPI to delete lttng per-cpu timers on all CPUs. I
> > > have to do this because timers created with add_timer_on are documented
> > > to be incompatible with del_timer_sync():
> > >
> > >  * Synchronization rules: Callers must prevent restarting of the timer,
> > >  * otherwise this function is meaningless. It must not be called from
> > >  * interrupt contexts. The caller must not hold locks which would prevent
> > >  * completion of the timer's handler. The timer's handler must not call
> > >  * add_timer_on(). Upon exit the timer is not queued and the handler is
> > >  * not running on any CPU.
> >
> > Errm. The documentation says:
> >
> >       "The timer's handler must not call add_timer_on()."
> >
> > It's not talking about a timer which was initialized with
> > add_timer_on().
> >
> >  And your per cpu timer handlers have no requirement to call
> > add_timer_on() simply because add/mod_timer() is requeueing the timer
> > on the same cpu on which the handler runs.
> >
> > So the IPI is just a solution for a non existing problem.
>
> Oh, right. Thanks for the explanation. I'll look into moving LTTng to a
> saner del_timer_sync() scheme to delete the timers.

Double-checking this:

add_timer_on() needs to be paired with mod_timer_pinned(), otherwise
NO_HZ SMP config can rebalance the timer to a different CPU. I am fixing
this in lttng 0.194. These per-cpu timers, of course, should usually be
deferrable (they are in lttng).

(looking at kernel 2.6.32.4 here)
Looking at the kernel/time/clocksource.c watchdog, I wonder how
del_timer manages to synchronize the timer teardown. The handler,
clocksource_watchdog(), uses add_timer_on(), which prohibits using
del_timer_sync(). This seems rather odd. If we remove the watchdog and
re-add it, it may still be in use while we initialize the timer
structure.

Also, net/core/drop_monitor.c trace_drop_common usage of add_timer_on
seems odd:

Executing (AFAIK) with preempt on, data points to a per-cpu timer:

       if (!timer_pending(&data->send_timer)) {
                data->send_timer.expires = jiffies + dm_delay * HZ;
                add_timer_on(&data->send_timer, smp_processor_id());
       }

How is timer_pending synchronized with the target CPU timer wheel ?

Wait, there's more: arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce.c uses both
add_timer_on in its handler and del_timer_sync (which is incorrect).

arch/x86/kernel/apic/x2apic_uv_x.c almost has it right, but maybe it
should use del_timer_sync ?

arch/powerpc/platforms/chrp/setup.c should learn about
mod_timer_pinned().

Which leads to the following question: is there _any_ add_timer_on()
kernel user that's not currently buggy ? ;-) Maybe this calls for better
documentation of this interface. From what I've learn from digging into
cpufreq to debug its incorrect timer teardown last year, I fear there
are lots and lots of buggy per-cpu _and_ standard timer interface users
out there.

Maybe adding some debugging options, e.g. checking that a timer created
with add_timer_on is always modified by mod_timer_pinned, and is always
deferrable, and deleted by del_timer_sync could help discovering a
couple of outlawyer.