[ltt-dev] net extended trace openin error with LTTV (without attachment)

paljak at mit.bme.hu paljak at mit.bme.hu
Mon Feb 8 10:24:50 EST 2010

Hi Ben,

I have been working with LTTng lately and the more I know it, the more I
like it!

I've also been able to open and examine traces, and it looks very
interesting.

I've also tried to create my own, but I've ran into an error, could you
take a look?

Basically, I receive an error
(ERROR:tracefile.c:1582:ltt_update_event_size: assertion failed: (info !=
NULL)) every time i try to open a net_extended trace with LTTV.

Here's what i've done:

1. Downloaded the patched kernel: git clone
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/compudj/linux-2.6-lttng.git
2. Compiled the kernel with these options (.config):
#
# GCOV-based kernel profiling
#
# CONFIG_GCOV_KERNEL is not set
CONFIG_SLOW_WORK=y
# CONFIG_SLOW_WORK_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_LTT=y
CONFIG_LTT_FILTER=m
CONFIG_HAVE_LTT_DUMP_TABLES=y
CONFIG_LTT_RELAY=y
CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_LOCKLESS=y
# CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_IRQOFF is not set
# CONFIG_LTT_RELAY_LOCKED is not set
CONFIG_LTT_SERIALIZE=y
CONFIG_LTT_FAST_SERIALIZE=y
CONFIG_LTT_TRACEPROBES=m
CONFIG_LTT_TRACE_CONTROL=y
CONFIG_LTT_TRACER=y
CONFIG_LTT_ALIGNMENT=y
CONFIG_LTT_CHECK_ARCH_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS=y
# CONFIG_LTT_DEBUG_EVENT_SIZE is not set
CONFIG_LTT_USERSPACE_EVENT=m
CONFIG_LTT_VMCORE=y
CONFIG_LTT_STATEDUMP=m
CONFIG_LTT_KPROBES=m
# CONFIG_LTT_ASCII is not set
3. Install the kernel and boot it up
4. Load all the modules
modprobe -v ltt-trace-control
modprobe -v ltt-marker-control
modprobe -v ltt-tracer
modprobe -v ltt-serialize
modprobe -v ltt-relay
modprobe -v ipc-trace
modprobe -v kernel-trace
modprobe -v mm-trace
modprobe -v net-trace
modprobe -v fs-trace
modprobe -v jbd2-trace
modprobe -v ext4-trace
modprobe -v syscall-trace
modprobe -v trap-trace
modprobe -v ltt-statedump
#extended trace
modprobe -v net-extended-trace
5. ltt-armall -n
6. lttctl -C -w /tmp/tr1 tr1
7. wget http://google.com
8. lttctl -D tr1
9. lttv -m textDump -t tr1
**
ERROR:tracefile.c:1582:ltt_update_event_size: assertion failed: (info !=
NULL)
/usr/local/bin/lttv: line 15:  2083 Aborted                 $0.real $*
10. lttv -m textDump -t tr1 --verbose --debug --edebug
net.udpv4_rcv_extended: 1003.743082325 (/tmp/tr1/net_0), 1878, 1878,
gnome-terminal, , 1, 0x0, SOFTIRQ { skb = 0xC4BBC240, saddr = 3576624693,
daddr = 3232235780, unicast = 1, ulen = 110, source = 53, dest = 39087,
data_start = a299884901000100 }
Event header (tracefile /tmp/tr1/net_0 offset bb8):
     bb8    40 C2 BB C4
**
ERROR:tracefile.c:1582:ltt_update_event_size: assertion failed: (info !=
NULL)
/usr/local/bin/lttv: line 15:  2104 Aborted                 $0.real $*

The installed versions are:
Linux Trace Toolkit Visualizer 0.12.29-02022010
Linux Trace Toolkit Trace Control 0.79-01022010

Here's the created trace for reference:
http://www.mit.bme.hu/~paljak/trace.tgz

If I don't use net extended, than it works just fine. And I've also had
success open your example trace.

Do you have any idea why do I get this error and how could I correct it?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Gergely

p.s. Sorry for the large attachment in the previous mail, now I've
replaced it with a link.