[ltt-dev] Are there version contraints when kernel trace and userspace trace are combined ?

Paul Wögerer paul_woegerer at mentor.com
Thu Dec 16 12:58:43 EST 2010

Hi,

The LTTng kernel tracer manual refers to the LTTng+LTTV versions
compatibility list:

http://git.lttng.org/?p=lttv.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/developer/lttng-lttv-compatibility.html;hb=HEAD

Is it correct to assume that the fifth column "LTTng userspace tracer /
markers-userspace" means that for a given LTTng version (second column)
I have to use an LTTng UST version greater or equal the given version.

In the last line for example it says: LTTng 0.239 can be combined with
LTTng userspace tracer 0.6. So this means I have to use at least UST-0.6.
But it should also be completely save to use UST-0.9, right ?

As I understand it there is technically no dependency between kernel
trace and userspace trace implementation (except the vDSO code that was
only recently added).

Maybe the LTTng+LTTV versions compatibility list should be updated to
make clear that ANY version between UST-0.6 up to UST-0.9 could be used
even if the Kernel/LTTng version is e.g. Kernel 2.6.30 / LTTng 0.170.

TIA,
Paul