[ltt-dev] UST usability nit

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 16 10:19:40 EDT 2010

* Pierre-Marc Fournier (pierre-marc.fournier at polymtl.ca) wrote:
> On 08/10/2010 10:06 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> Hi Pierre-Marc,
>>
>> Just tried UST on my machine and ran into the basic deployment nit:
>> ldconfig is not executed by the make install script, so usttrace could
>> not find the shared object. There was a message saying that in the log
>> file, but this can be a major inconvenience for new users.
>>
>> Can you add a ldconfig execution to the make install script ?
>
> Isn't the standard with automake-built projects is to let the user run
> ldconfig by himself? The installation instructions for ust mention the
> need to run ldconfig after installation, and in my mind, making the
> install script run ldconfig on the user's system is taking too much
> liberty and too surprising. I'll be convinced otherwise if you can
> provide examples of notable projects that do so.

Looking around, here is what some other projects do:
(http://osdir.com/ml/linux.drivers.gnokii/2003-07/msg00062.html)

So then let's settle for having

make install

print a message at the end, e.g.:

"Note: You may need to run ldconfig on your system."

We can assume that the average user will expect that

./configure
make
make install

will do the job for a userspace application. So we should tell them if a
supplementary step is needed. Again, it's in the spirit of making
adoption as easy and smooth as possible for the user.