[ltt-dev] UST usability nit

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 16 10:09:44 EDT 2010

* Pierre-Marc Fournier (pierre-marc.fournier at polymtl.ca) wrote:
> On 08/10/2010 10:10 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> another nit:
>>
>> looking at a recorded trace in
>>
>> compudj at ok:~/.usttraces/ok-20100810110729951540364$
>>
>> notice how long is the date identifier. When I have two traces gathered
>> on the same day, tab completion is rally a pain to do because the
>> numbers start with the same date. Can you simply put a separator between
>> the date and time of day (a dash "-" would be fine) ?
>>

> How will adding a dash help tab completion? The directories will still
> start with the same date.

Users trying to find out what to complete with in the middle of a large
chunk of numbers might have a hard time finding the correct spot without
a separator somewhere.

> May I suggest selection-pasting the path? It's faster than tab
> completion when you have several traces.

Yes, you can suggest 'best practices' as much as you want, but some
people will still try to use tab completion, and this will be a
frustrating experience. Please add the '-' and don't frustrate your
users.