[ltt-dev] Followup: UST support for PowerPC

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Sat Apr 10 11:09:13 EDT 2010

* soumyakanti chakraborty (soumyakanti.chakraborty at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Naren <tracemein at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the UST manual Link<http://lttng.org/files/ust/manual/ust.html#Supported-platforms>,
> > its mentioned that *"**UST can currently trace applications running on
> > Linux, on the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures**". *I am interested in
> > using UST on applications running on PowerPC platforms, especially, ppc32.
> > Is it still the case that it is not supported in ppc?
> >
> > Hello Naren
>
> As of now UST doesnt support ppc architectures.It is needed to be ported to
> it, but according to Pierre its is easy to do it as presently userspace-rcu
> atomic ops supports ppc architecture.

Yep. One should have a look at the kernel LTTng
arch/powerpc/include/asm/trace-clock.h, and port the trace clock to UST.
That imply reimplementing Linux get_tb() and get_tbl().

This work should be relatively straightforward for powerpc32/64, but can
be much more difficult for other architectures, possibly requiring vDSO
support.