[ltt-dev] Trace "destroy" hangs, lttd keeps running

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at polymtl.ca
Thu Nov 19 00:13:18 EST 2009

* Ashwin Tanugula (ashwin.tanugula at broadcom.com) wrote:

> > OK. Can you please try with this patch applied on top of 0.176 ? This
> > should be very close to mips64 which, AFAIK, should work and does not
> > need this workaround to deal with 64-bit values. Sorry it's taking so
> > long. It would help if I could get my hands on a MIPS32 board. More
> > comments after the patch.
>
> > [snip snip]
>
> > I compared the mips code to the approach I took for intel (they were quite similar) and found the discrepancy. Please ignore the previous patch I just sent, and try this one instead:
>

> Mathieu,
>
> Even this patch does not fix the issue.

Well, it does seem to fix the trace clock hang issue on mips32, right ?
So we're getting there...

> [Merging emails]
>

> > > With "return 1;" I can sometimes generate the trace and sometime I cannot as lttd is still running even after destroying the trace.
> > >
> > > Please look at the attached log file.
> > >

> > running lttd in verbose mode could eventually help here. (see lttd --help). You would have to start it separately from lttctl though (see lttctl --help to see how to create a trace, then start lttd, and then start tracing with lttctl).
>

> Running lttd in verbose mode didn't help either.
>
> Here'swhat I did
>
>   lttctl -c trace2
>   lttd/lttd -t /tmp/trace2 -c /proc/sys/debug/ltt/trace2 -N 1 -d -n -v
>   lttctl -s trace2
>
> To stop the trace
>
>   lttctl -D trace2
>

> lttd still is running at this point for traces longer than 5 minutes.

It would be useful to have the output of what lttd is doing after you
issue "lttctl -D trace2".

Hrm, and you might want to remove the "-d" parameter for lttd. I'm not
sure it keeps the verbose output on the console.

Is the system very busy while you take your trace ? I suppose the mips32
board you have is single-cpu, am I correct ?

Also please make sure to double-check the lttd version you are using
(e.g. not a binary left over from an old build). This is especially
important because the newer lttng-lttv-lttctl-lttd versions break
compatibility with older versions.

> I can generate and view the trace data for smaller traces (1 min) without any problems.

Great, at least this tells us that the trace clock now works. I'm having
trouble reproducing your issue on my x86-64 machine though.