[ltt-dev] LTTng userspace tracing

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Fri May 15 08:49:54 EDT 2009

* Andrew McDermott (andrew.mcdermott at windriver.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading:
>
>     http://ltt.polymtl.ca/svn/trunk/lttv/doc/developer/ust.html
>
> and wondered if there was an implementation based on this design.  I had
> a poke around the SVN repo but it wasn't clear to me if this directory:
>
>     http://ltt.polymtl.ca/svn/trunk/markers-userspace/
>
> was related.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, we have a working userspace implementation, but we are clearing out
the last details involved with distributing it under the LGPL license.
There are a few GPL dependencies we are taking care of.

E.g., we just had the OK from IBM to re-license their contribution to my
userspace RCU library to LGPL, which was the most important piece of the
puzzle. The rest is mostly atomic operations and a rcu list iteration.

And the last thing we would want is people to think that we are
distributing the userspace tracing library under a license too
restrictive for their use.

Second answer : the markers-userspace directory content has been re-used
in the implementation I think, but has been repackaged. I am putting
Pierre-Marc in CC, who did the userspace tracing port of LTTng.

Thanks for the interest you show :)