[ltt-dev] Problem with tracing network events in 0.128 to 0.132

Gregory Haskins ghaskins at novell.com
Mon May 4 11:55:34 EDT 2009

Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Gregory Haskins (ghaskins at novell.com) wrote:
>

>> I am willing to dig in and see if I can fix it, but I figured I would
>> post first to see if this is a known issue, has a workaround, or perhaps
>> some guiding wisdom on what to look for first.
>>

> Hi Greg,
>
> It should be fixed in LTTng 0.133. Can you confirm ?

Hi Mathieu,
  I confirmed that the ethernet IRQ is now showing up.  Thanks!  Note,
however, that the softirq-net-rx (softirq-3) is still notably missing.
Is there a similar issue on the softirq side?  Note that I do see some
of the softirq vectors (1, 6, and 8 specifically), so its not a general
problem.

As an aside, note that ive been seeing a problem in lttv-gui for a while
now where the interrupts/softirqs can sometimes get "stuck".  (e.g. the
color bar goes to infinity even if there are no events).  I suspect that
part of the problem is perhaps overlapping events when you allow things
like interrupts to preempt each other.  As an additional datapoint, I do
not see the problem when I turn on lockdep, which disables overlapping
interrupts.

In case I have not said it enough in the past, LTTng rocks, so thanks
for all the work here.

-Greg