[ltt-dev] [patch 2/9] LTTng instrumentation - irq

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at polymtl.ca
Wed Mar 25 14:30:24 EDT 2009

* Ingo Molnar (mingo at elte.hu) wrote:

> * Ingo Molnar <mingo at elte.hu> wrote:
>

> > * Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers at polymtl.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > If we want to do this logically, without thinking about tracer
> > > performance impact, we could/should do :
> > >
> > > trace_irq_entry(irqno, pt_regs)
> > >   for_each_handler() {
> > >     trace_irq_handler_entry(action)
> > >     action->handler()
> > >     trace_irq_handler_exit(ret)
> > >   }
> > > trace_irq_exit(retval)
> >
> > Not really.
>
> Put differently: we seem to agree on handler invocation entry/exit
> events (and those are handled by Jason's patch already), and that's
> good.

Yes, we need to get this information into the trace stream somehow.

> I dont think we need two events for physical IRQ events though. One
> is enough: entry event. What meaning does 'retval' have in your
> pseudo-code above? None typically.

Hrm, an event means more that the "payload" it has. Just saving "here is
a return from interrupt handler" without any return value is valuable
per se because it lets the trace analyzer know when the hardirq handler
ended.

e.g., if we instrument the x86 local apic irq handler only with an "irq
entry" event, we would not be able to detect if the following events are
nested on top of the IRQ handler or are executed in thread context.

Having those two hardirq entry/exit events is also especially useful to
figure out the maximum interrupt latency caused by long interrupt
handlers (or that could be many handlers hooked on the same interrupt
line).