[ltt-dev] Specification on binary and text log output?

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 19 15:15:35 EDT 2009

* Jonas Fornander (Jonas.Fornander at enea.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a specification on both the binary format, and the text output
> from LTTng?

There has been one on the binary format, but I doubt it is up-to-date.
The closest thing we currently have to a specification is a reference
implementation (lttng and lttv libltttraceread).

There has never been any specification for the text output. Note that if
you plan to parse the textDump output, you might want to try
lttv -m textDump --path_output -t tracepath

> Furthermore, is there any document or other kind of information about this
> format, apart from the logs itself.

Old format documentation here :

http://ltt.polymtl.ca/svn/trunk/lttv/doc/developer/format.html
(outdated)

> Is it possible to create just one binary log?

Not with the current lttng design. One binary log would cause too much
cache line bouncing on SMP systems anyway.

> I'm investigating creating a log parser for our own tool chain.

You might want to investigate using the LGPL libltttraceread library,
part of LTTV, to save yourself some time. :)