[ltt-dev] Dual-licensing LTTng, marker and tracepoints under GPLv2+/LGPLv2.1+

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 24 13:23:26 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:49:09PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Frank Ch. Eigler (fche at redhat.com) wrote:
> > Mathieu Desnoyers <compudj at krystal.dyndns.org> writes:
> >
> > > [...]  The goal we pursue by dual-licensing with GPLv2/LGPLv2.1 is
> > > to permit instrumented applications to be themselves distributed
> > > under other license than GPL. [...]
> >
> > Is there some reason you can't just fork/copy off some earlier version
> > of these files over which you had sole authorship (if any)?
> >

> Actually, for LTTng, I own the copyright of almost everything we need.
> Most files written by others are mainly the debugfs interfaces done by
> Fujitsu. There is some derived work from RelayFS in
> ltt/ltt-relay-alloc.c and include/linux/ltt-relay.h, where getting IBM's
> approval would be good, but I think in the end this will end up being
> only a few tens of lines.

It is going to be a -lot- easier and faster to simply rewrite a few tens
of lines than to get any kind of approval.  ;-)

I cannot reasonably argue that the prior approval for RCU covers tracing,
sad to say.  So unless there is something very special about the few
tens of lines, could you please look at just clean-room rewriting them?

							Thanx, Paul