[ltt-dev] Dual-licensing LTTng, marker and tracepoints under GPLv2+/LGPLv2.1+

Frank Ch. Eigler fche at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 12:33:00 EDT 2009

Mathieu Desnoyers <compudj at krystal.dyndns.org> writes:

> [...]  The goal we pursue by dual-licensing with GPLv2/LGPLv2.1 is
> to permit instrumented applications to be themselves distributed
> under other license than GPL. [...]

Is there some reason you can't just fork/copy off some earlier version
of these files over which you had sole authorship (if any)?

> [...]The goal is to permit this library, which includes the
> tracepoints, markers and LTTng features, to be used by userspace
> applications and libraries so they can add static instrumentation
> (as we currently do in the kernel). [...]

Just in case you're not aware, some API prior art for this is the
dtrace sdt.h widget (already supported by systemtap), and of course
it has no similarity to the various kernel tracing APIs.

- FChE