[ltt-dev] Problem with tracing network events in 0.128 to 0.132

Gregory Haskins ghaskins at novell.com
Fri Jun 19 09:20:49 EDT 2009

Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Gregory Haskins (ghaskins at novell.com) wrote:
>
>> Pierre-Marc Fournier wrote:

>>> Sorry for the delay. Some fixes were committed to head. It should be
>>> better now.
>>>
>>> I think there are still a few cases where the bug occurs. I would be
>>> glad to check it out if someone would send me a problematic trace.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> pmf
>>>

>> I have confirmed that the RV view looks better now!  Thanks guys!
>>
>> FYI: I have pushed the updated 0.12.15 rpms out to the repositories
>> available here:
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home://ghaskins://lttng/
>>
>> [
>>     Note: I still only have *suse support since other distros have a
>> build error I have yet to resolve.  For instance, here is the error on
>> the RHEL-5 build:
>>
>>     libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib'
>>     test -z "/usr/include/ltt" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/include/ltt"
>>     /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/include/ltt': Permission
>> denied
>>     make[2]: *** [install-lttincludeHEADERS] Error 1
>>     make[2]: Leaving directory
>> `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/lttv-0.12.15-16062009/ltt'
>>     make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
>>     make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/lttv-0.12.15-16062009/ltt'
>>     make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>>     error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.10077 (%install)
>>
>>     Patches for the .spec file welcome!
>>

> Hrm, I think it's because the specfile installs itself in /usr. Hrm, but
> LTTV uses these paths as default in the application, so we don't wan't
> to change them into something like %{BuildRoot}/usr...

Not sure, as I haven't looked at the tarball/spec file closely yet
w.r.t. this issue.  Wouldn't that only affect the paths at boot-time?
If so, perhaps that is the answer

> Can you try creating the packages in a chroot or something like that ?

Well, I don't have a RHEL system handy (the build-service does all the
distro/arch magic).  Ill see what I can find.

> Otherwise we would have to figure out how to specify different paths
> within LTTV and for build.. it might be cleaner, but it's not trivial.

Most of the packages I have done in the past have something like
$PREFIX/usr/blah/blah in the make-install target.  The app can assume
/usr/blah/blah at run-time and $PREFIX is only defined as something
other than "" during the build-phase.  We might be able to do something
like that here as well.  If I can figure it out, I will send you the
patches.

Thanks Matthieu,
-Greg