[ltt-dev] Feedback on the lttng.org website

Gregory Haskins gregory.haskins at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 11:56:08 EDT 2009

Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Gregory Haskins (gregory.haskins at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

>>> Hrm, it makes me think:
>>>
>>> providing a qemu image with LTTng pre-installed could be very useful for
>>> newcomers. This should come along with step-by-step documentation. Do
>>> you think this idea makes sense ?
>>>

>> Yes, I think it does.  FWIW: you can build these kinds of "appliance"
>> things in SuSE studio (http://susestudio.com/)
>>
>> I can try to put one together, if you like.
>>

> Yes, that would be great !

Here is a proof of concept as a live-cd:

http://susestudio.com/download/27c5ba8141433926ea86e521264f6f30/LTTng_demo.i686-0.0.1.iso

It contains a kernel-lttng patched kernel, lttv, and ltt-control (and
even branded with the garland-logo).

Whats missing:

1) I can't figure out how to make it boot kernel-lttng instead of
kernel-default.

2) we should add some scripts that will (at the very least) pop open a
document that walks the user through a trace session.

3) I need to get a more current kernel (the one included is 2.6.27.8)

Thoughts?

-Greg