[ltt-dev] move marker-control file into debugfs

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 11 20:45:03 EST 2009

* Gui Jianfeng (guijianfeng at cn.fujitsu.com) wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> I'd like to move "/proc/ltt" into debugfs. How do
> you think of that? If you don't object, i'll post
> a patch later, and update ltt-arm and other relative
> tools.

Yes, this should be done. Please have a look at the discussion I had
with Zhaolei on this. It was on the ltt-dev ML.

Basically, the idea is to change the semantics a bit. The following
directory tree would be great :

/mnt/debugfs/ltt/markers/
                         <channel_names>/
                                         <marker_names>/

And within each individual <marker_names>/ directory, we would have
those files :

enabled (write, takes Y, y, 1 or N, n, 0. See ltt-trace-control.c.)
        (read, prints 1 or 0)

We may want to remove the ability to connect markers to specific probes.
Markers would always be only connected to the default serializer.
Markers using ltt-type-serializer does not use the probe pointer anyway.

We will probably want to let the
kernel/marker.c:add_marker()/remove_marker() code call into the debugfs
interface code to update the directory tree accordingly.

Regards,