[ltt-dev] [RFC git tree] Userspace RCU (urcu) for Linux (repost)

Paul E. McKenney paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Feb 14 10:06:22 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:46:02AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 00:20, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> >> the quick way is to tell people to run their program through `taskset`
> >> (which is what we're doing now).
> >
> > Not sure what environment Mathieu is looking to run his program from,
> > but he would need to run it on multiple architectures.
>
> right, that is exactly the kind of thing we strive to avoid on our
> (the Blackfin) side of things
>
> >> the next step up (or down depending on how you look at it) would be to
> >> hook the clone function to do this automatically.  i havent gotten
> >> around to testing this yet which is why there isnt anything in there
> >> yet though.
> >>
> >> asmlinkage int bfin_clone(struct pt_regs....
> >>        unsigned long clone_flags;
> >>        unsigned long newsp;
> >>
> >> +#ifdef CONFIG_SMP
> >> +       if (current->rt.nr_cpus_allowed == NR_CPUS) {
> >> +               current->cpus_allowed = cpumask_of_cpu(smp_processor_id());
> >> +               current->rt.nr_cpus_allowed = 1;
> >> +       }
> >> +#endif
> >> +
> >>        /* syscall2 puts clone_flags in r0 and usp in r1 */
> >>        clone_flags = regs->r0;
> >>        newsp = regs->r1;
> >
> > Wouldn't you also have to make sched_setaffinity() cut back to only one
> > CPU if more are specified?
>
> mmm, yes and no.  if we wanted to keep the transparency thing going,
> then adding a check to the affinity functions to make sure threaded
> apps dont span cpus would be needed.  but i would think we'd want to
> have it return an error rather (EINVAL prob) than attempting to make
> any automatic selections.  the only real blocker here would be
> figuring out how to detect the application in question is threaded
> with 100% accuracy.  the Blackfin port does not yet have TLS support
> which means we're using linuxthreads rather than NPTL ...
>
> hooking clone gives us the biggest bang for the buck: majority of
> stuff today are threaded applications that dont look at affinity.
>
> > If Blackfin handles hotplug CPU, that may
> > need attention as well, since tasks affinitied to the CPU being removed
> > can end up with their affinity set to all CPUs.  And there are probably
> > other issues.
>
> no, we dont support hotplugging of CPUs.  there is no hardware support
> for it, so i think the only thing you'd gain is perhaps power savings
> ?  not sure it would even work in our case though as the hardware does
> not support restarting or shutdown of one core ... they both have to
> restart/shutdown.  putting one core into a constant idle loop would
> save power, but that can already be accomplished by reducing the apps
> that go onto a specific core.

OK, that removes that issue, at least aside from any people who will
take the software approach to CPU hotplug (leaving the unplugged CPU
spinning with irqs disabled or some such).

Other potential issues include unrelated processes that share memory via
shmget() or mmap() -- presumably groups of such processes would need to
be bound to a single CPU?

							Thanx, Paul