[ltt-dev] [RFC git tree] Userspace RCU (urcu) for Linux (repost)

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 13 10:10:45 EST 2009

* Paul E. McKenney (paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:50:43AM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

> > > OK, got it.  Keep ACCESS_ONCE() as is, make sure any busy-wait
> > > loops contain a cpu_relax().  A given busy loop might or might not
> > > need ACCESS_ONCE(), but that decision is independent of hardware
> > > considerations.
> > >
> > > Ah, and blackfin's cpu_relax() does seem to have migrated from barrier()
> > > to smp_mb() recently, so sounds good to me!!!
> >

> > Interesting. I don't know if you would say it is not cache coherent.
> > Does anything in cache coherency definition require timeliness? Only
> > causality I think.
> >
> > However I think "infinite write buffering delay", or requiring "cache
> > barriers" is insane to teach any generic code about. BF would be free
> > to optimise arch functions, but for correctness surely it must also
> > have a periodic interrupt that will expose stores to other CPUs.
>
> I have great sympathy for this point of view!!!  So why not have the
> blackfin folks get the appropriate instructions added in the gcc port
> to their architecture?  (Yeah, I know, gcc has no way of knowing which
> variables are shared and not...)
>
> But perhaps we could decorate the affected variable declarations with
> a macro that expands to some sort of gcc attribute in the blackfin case?

I think that just for the fact that it help identifying such variable
accesses which are :

- performed atomically
- unprotected by any form of locking

This seems like a good things to wrap such accesses into a macro which
permits easy identification of those sites. A bit like rcu_dereference()
does. Gradual use of this new macro could come incrementally too.

Mathieu