[ltt-dev] [RFC git tree] Userspace RCU (urcu) for Linux (repost)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Feb 12 15:13:29 EST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> Actually the best way to do this would be:
>
> 	while (ACCESS_ONCE(sig_done) < 1)
> 		continue;
>
> If ACCESS_ONCE() needs to be made architecture-specific to make this
> really work on Blackfin, we should make that change.

I really wouldn't want to mix up compiler barriers and cache barriers this
way.

I think "cpu_relax()" is likely the right thing to piggy-back on for
broken cache-coherency.

> And, now that you mention it, I have heard rumors that other CPU
> families can violate cache coherence in some circumstances.

I personally suspect that the BF pseudo-SMP code is just broken, and that
it likely has tons of subtle bugs and races - because we _do_ depend on
cache coherency at least for accessing objects next to each other. I just
never personally felt like I had the energy to care deeply enough.

But I draw the line at making ACCESS_ONCE() imply anything but a compiler
optimization issue.

		Linus