[ltt-dev] ltt_trace_system_description

Mathieu Desnoyers compudj at krystal.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 24 10:34:23 EDT 2009

* David Cummings (DCummings at qnx.com) wrote:
> I was trying to call ltt_trace_system_description from an LTTV module
> but it does not seem to implemented in the latest version of LTTV. I
> noticed that in the modules that do call ltt_trace_system_description
> (such as textDump), the code is commented out and surrounded by a
> FIXME. Is there a particular reason as to why this call is not
> implemented? Are there other mechanisms provided to access this data?

This data was planned in the initial LTTV versions, but did depend on
grabbing system information from a /proc text file. I removed this so
that we do not even depend on /proc being active or mounted on the
system, so all the information can be extracted through LTTng channels.
So if we implement something like ltt_trace_system_description, we would
have to export more information from the kernel through the standard
LTTng tracing infrastructure.