[ltt-dev] performance results I measured with the latest lttng patches

Jiaying Zhang jiayingz at google.com
Thu Sep 25 16:08:00 EDT 2008

Hi Mathieu,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers <
compudj at krystal.dyndns.org> wrote:

> * Jiaying Zhang (jiayingz at google.com) wrote:
> > Hi Jan,

> > > normal
> > >
> > > Isn't lttng-compile-out missing here? Or did you ran the same base
> kernel?
> >

> > I used the same base kernel here.
> >
> > Jiaying
>
> To to give an idea of the order of magniture of kernel effect on tbench
> on my dual 4-cores box Intel box :
>
> stock kernel 2.6.27-rc6 : 2024MB/s
> stock kernel 2.6.27-rc7 : 1989MB/s
>
> 1.7% slowdown, with exactly the same config. And this is between
> rc releases where the diff consists mostly of _bugfixes_.

So do both kernels have LTTng compiled in but disabled?
It is possible to see variance with difference kernel versions.
To focus on the performance effects of Lttng, I guess we should
stick with the same kernel version with difference Lttng configurations.

> I start to doubt tbench represents well "real" workloads, given it's
> mostly doing kernel interaction and almost nothing in userspace.

There are many kinds of "real" workloads. I think we may want to pay
special attentions to those benchmarks that stress Lttng.

Jiaying