[ltt-dev] performance results I measured with the latest lttng patches

Michael Rubin mrubin at google.com
Wed Sep 24 03:32:51 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:25 AM, Jan Blunck <jblunck at suse.de> wrote:
> Isn't lttng-compile-out missing here? Or did you ran the same base kernel?

I believe it's the same base kernel. Which means we have about a 2.3%
performance penalty for just compiling the LTTng code in with no
markers enabled. We love the functionality of LTTng, but that is a
non-starter for us.  We are motivated to help make this better.

I am curious what the expectations and goals the lttng efforts have
for performance in these scenarios. Do you guys have a goal for perf
impact in the situations of not configured (or not compiled) vs
configured (compiled in) but no trace points enabled vs tracepoints
enabled?

What sort of benchmarks are you using to test performance? That way we
can use the same ones to better compare notes. Do you have access to
HW with lots of cores?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Rubin